Monday, June 20, 2011

The Box

Last night I watched The Box with Cameron Diaz and James Marsden. It is actually based on / drawn from a short story called "Button, Button" which was later made into a Twilight Zone episode.



The film is about a couple Norma (Diaz) and Arthur (Marsden) who live in the suburbs with their son. They are not exactly financially stable, and a few things come up on the same day that get them even more stressed about their situation. A box is left on their front door, and the next day - a strange visitor comes with more information - press the button and get $1m. However, someone you don't know will die if you push it. 


As a couple - Norma and Arthur have to figure out if this is real, and what to do. Clearly, this button is a test of their personalities and of human nature. It causes them to consider whether their comfort and happiness is worth another's life. 

Of course, it is not this plain and simple. The movie does take a different turn than I expected, and for a while I wasn't sure what was going on. It got a little sci - fi for a bit. It did seem like an extended Twilight Zone episode. 

I can't say I'd recommend it for everyone. Maybe to my mom, or others who like the Twilight Zone. It was creepy, but interesting. I wouldn't watch it again, but don't feel like I wasted my time 

No comments: