Wednesday, January 11, 2012

the girl with no motivation to read this book


I started this book on a 6 hr flight home from LA. I think since I had so much time to kill I kept pushing through it, but since I got home, I have had trouble picking it up for more than 15 min. I have heard so many rave reviews about this - but cannot get into it! Am I missing something?? 

Heather saw the movie and from her review, I would assume will never read the book, and does not recommend the film. I'm wary of wasting my time on the rest of the book, especially since I think I already have figured out the 'mystery' that is part of the story. 

From what I understand at this point : 
There is a girl, Lisbeth, who has a very broken home, and very messed up past. She is sort of on her own after a guardian she trusted fell ill. People are constantly watching for her, and following up on her to make sure she's managing life, but she's a million steps ahead of them and not interested in their babysitting. She's some sort of tech / sleuth genius.

There is a guy, Mikael Blomkvist, publisher of a magazine, who was framed in some libel case against a very wealthy dude. He is losing everything and will end up in jail, unless he can prove that the wealty guy - Wennerström - has set him up. 

Cue Henrik Vanger, dying CEO of a family company who a)hates his family and b) needs to solve a family mystery of the disappearance of his favorite niece some ridiculous amount of time ago. He has info on Wennstrom that he will release to Blomkvist once the research / book is done. 

Vanger hires Blomkvist to write a book / solve the puzzle, while Lisbeth somehow becomes involved in the project due to her technology, spying and work at a security company. 

I guess I'll keep trying to see if I can get to the end of it! 



No comments: